Surrounded by 5000 acres of parkland is the 18th century neoclassical masterpiece Gosford House, East Lothian, seat of the Charteris family, the Earls of Wemyss and March. Designed by Scottish architect, furniture and interior designer Robert Adam (1728 - 1792), Gosford House was built between 1790 and 1800 under the ownership of the 7th Earl of Wemyss.
Due to coastal air and water damage, its wings were subsequently demolished and rebuilt by the 10th Earl of Wemyss by the designs of Scottish architect William Young (1843 - 1900). Gosford House, its stables and mausoleum are all Category A listed buildings while its grounds can be found in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland. 19.08.2016
Image dimensions: 6000 x 4000 pixels