Tay Bridge (Composite)
Forming the 0952 Aberdeen to London King's Cross service, an LNER Azuma steadily approaches the Dundee suburb of Wormit, Fife at the southern end of the Tay Bridge during a summer heatwave. Spanning 2.75 miles across the Firth of Tay, the current double-track pier-and-lattice girder bridge opened in 1887 after five years of construction.
It replaced the previous single-track lattice-grid design of cast and wrought iron that opened in 1878 after seven years of construction only for its central spans to collapse during a storm 18 months later while the 1720 Burntisland to Dundee service was crossing, leaving no survivors of an estimated 75 passengers.
While North British Railways salvaged the steam engine in charge from the wreckage on the river bed and returned it to service with the nickname "The Diver" for another 40 years before it was sold for scrap, all that remains of the old bridge are the stumps of its piers which are still visible next to the new one. 06.08.2020
Image dimensions: 6000 x 4000 pixels